As if pregnant women don’t go through enough! Raging hormones, cravings, strong enough to drive you mad if not appeased, all hours of the day and night… *sputtering a bit* Our uterus stretches from the size of an orange to that of a watermelon, for crying out loud! ? ? Now, that’s a laugh or cry thought if ever there was one! ?
And, as if that isn’t enough, sadly, during this str-eh-eh-etching process, we run a good risk of marring our physical appearance… Perhaps, permanently. *sigh*
I’m sure, you know of what I speak. ?
Stretch marks. What visual did those words conjure up for you? They come in every size and a variety of colors. But, no matter if they are red, purple or a bluish silver, you just don’t see people flaunting them in the same way that they rock their tattoos. ?
It’s all Genetics
Because genetics plays a role in everything, whether or not you’re more prone to getting them is hereditary. Skin elasticity has a lot to do with it. But, there are things you can do to help ward off those unsightly “blemishes.”
- Be mindful at mealtime. Yes, you’re eating for two, but one of you is really tiny, girlfriend. Rapid weight gain can cause your skin to pull apart too quickly which can lead to stretch marks. (Whether or not we’re pregnant, oh, by the way!)
- Drink lots of water. Hydrated skin is soft and supple and is not as conducive to stretch marks as dry skin.
- Nutrients negate stretch marks. Eat foods rich in vitamins C, D, and E, zinc and protein.
- Vitamin C is an important nutrient in creating collagen. Collagen makes our skin strong and elastic.
- Soak up some rays. It’s an easy way to load your body up with vitamin D.
- Lotion, Lotion, Lotion!
- Stretch marks fade to white over time.
Healthline has some other great tips. The article is a quick read and worth your time.
Don’t Sweat it.
We understand if you don’t care to share them with the world. But, don’t sweat the stretch marks. Odds are they are going to fade away. Not as quickly as the memory of those labor pains… ? That’s instantaneous!
But, while you’re waiting, toss that bikini out the window and hit the stores, girl! You really must try them on, but, trust me, the perfect one piece is out there! And… You may discover there’s a lot to be said for leaving some things to the imagination! Just sayin’. ?
You don’t have to break into a sweat over anything you need to know as a parent. Whether this is your first child or your third, NewbornCourse.com has everything you need to become confident in your role as a parent. Our doctor approved courses are interactive, engaging and, most importantly, available 24/7! We hope to hear from you today!